The United Jewish Congregation (UJC) of Hong Kong, a dynamic,
160-family Progressive Congregation, is seeking a dynamic and
enthusiastic Cantor or Cantorial Soloist/Programming Associate
("Hazzan") to join our community.
The Hazzan is a full time member of the UJC staff and is directly
responsible to the Rabbi, who leads the clergy, and to the Director
of Education and Programming. Additionally, the Hazzan works closely
with members of the administrative staff and the lay leadership
of the congregation.
The role will assist in leading services, and support the synagogue’s
educational and programmatic initiatives. The ideal candidate
will be warm, outgoing, and an effective communicator; an enthusiastic
teacher of both children and adults, possessing a love of music;
and a team player who brings creativity, humor, and a deep commitment
to Progressive Judaism to the task of serving our community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partner with the Rabbi for worship services and for a wide
variety of other festival observances.
- Assist in the planning, logistics, execution and staffing
for the many UJC programs and events.
- Engage Young Professionals and plan and implement programming
- Plan and implement the music component for religious school,
early engagement and adult programs.
- Tutor B’nai Mitzvah students for Torah and Haftarah
chanting and leading services.
- Develop programming for children and teens.
- Teach assigned classes in religious school and assist in
other religious school programming.
- Represent the UJC at community wide events in consultation
with the Rabbi.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Teaching and tutoring, children and adults.
- Excellent Hebrew liturgical skills, including the ability
to chant Torah, Haftarah, and Megillot.
- Excellent vocal ability that invites congregational singing.
- Desire to learn and expand her/his knowledge.
- Experience in informal education and youth work.
- A well developed work ethic and superior organizational skills.
- Cantorial investiture a plus, but not a requirement if the
candidate possesses professional level skills, as outlined above.
- Youth movement experience is a plus but not required.
- Ability to play a guitar or keyboard a plus.
The Jewish community in Hong Kong is extremely diverse, reflecting
many traditions from around the world. While UJC
members come mainly from North America, we are also thoroughly
international, including members from Israel, Britain, France,
Germany, South America, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand,
Japan, Thailand, and China. Although some congregants have lived
in Hong Kong for decades, many are in Hong Kong for two to five
years. Our membership is comprised mostly of business people,
journalists, teachers, and academics, and includes many families
with school-age children, as well as many young professionals.
We are looking for someone who is committed to be in Hong Kong
for a minimum of two years and ideally three. We offer a competitive
compensation package, including housing allowance.
For more information and to apply, please email email@example.com.
Applications should include a CV/resume, cover letter and two
recordings 1) Hazzanut piece and 2) a musical piece appropriate
for congregational participation.
Please submit all application materials by March 1, 2018.
^back to the top